Why Are My Teeth Stained?
Are your teeth stained? That’s pretty common. Knowing what causes your teeth to become stained and what you can do to make your teeth whiter can help you keep your smile beautiful! As your dentist in San Antonio, TX, the professionals at Tran Dental can help. Here’s what you need to know.
What Causes Teeth to Stain?
There are several things that can cause your teeth to become stained.
Foods and Drinks
Teeth generally get stained when they’re exposed to certain drinks or foods that are dark‑colored, are acidic, or contain tannins. Some of the most common foods and drinks that can cause your teeth to become stained include:
- Red wine
- White wine
- Tomato sauce
- Barbecue sauce
- Soy sauce
- Balsamic vinegar
- Fruit juice
Really, food or drinks that are dark in color, or any sauce that is a dark color could cause your teeth to turn yellow‑brown.
Nicotine can stain your teeth. The longer you smoke, the worse your teeth may become.
What Can You Do to Eliminate Stains?
Although it’s not hard to stain your teeth, there are many things you can do to improve the appearance of your teeth. Below are some things you can do to eliminate stains.
- Use whitening toothpaste. Whitening toothpaste is available at pharmacies and grocery stores and can whiten your teeth a bit, although professional whitening is much more effective.
- Get your teeth professionally whitened. Your dentist can whiten your teeth at the dentist office. Professional tooth whitening services are one of the most effective and long-lasting tooth whitening services available.
- See your dentist regularly. Have your teeth cleaned by the dentist on a regular basis to remove small stains?
- Swish with water after eating staining foods. If you eat a meal with staining foods, swish with water during your meal and after to wash the inside of your mouth on the spot.
- Stop smoking. Smoking is bad for your teeth and gums. Stop smoking today to protect your teeth.
- Get veneers. If your teeth are very badly stained, your dentist may recommend dental veneers.
Contact Your Dentist in San Antonio
Are your teeth stained? Contact Tran Dental to make an appointment for teeth whitening.